25 June 2015

Matte matte matte - Revlon vs Benefit foundation

I'll not beat around around the bush here -I am a greasy, oily girl. That shine on my hair, yeah wait a day it'll be slick, slick, slick. The glow and softness of my skin, give it an hour and I'll be shiny and maybe even a little bit sticky. Who knows where I get it from but I have oily skin which is a bit of a nightmare for someone trying to emulate the pin-up era when flawless, even, skin was de rigueur. I can do a pretty solid cat-eye liner and can even make a decent attempt at contouring but I'm always struggling with that matte skin. This is especially a problem in the warmer months and for daywear when I don't want to spend ten minutes building up layers of foundation.

For a while now I've been using Benefit Playsticks which claim to do the job of concealer, foundation and powder all in one. I found them highly recommended for mattifying skin and I like the creamy consistency and ease of application. Unfortunately they have reduced the range and I've been struggling to match my skin tone so I thought it was time to try something new.

After a quick bit of research Revlon Colorstay foundation came up again and again as a product recommended for a matte finish. They offer one blend for combination/oily skin and one for normal/dry skin so it seemed like they would cater to my needs. At £12.49 it's also less than half the price of the £26.50 Benefit Playsticks so I thought I'd give it a try. 

I've never been much of a fan of liquid foundation, probably due to my oily skin as it feels like layering liquid onto an already balmy surface but this dries quite quickly. I found it gave good coverage and did go on matte. It comes in the most annoying bottle though, with no pump for application, so getting it out of the bottle is very faffy! I didn't quite get my correct skin match so I might go a shade lighter next time but overall I've been pretty happy with the even, anti-shine affect it provides.

Time to put them head-to-head! 

I applied each in the morning before work and abstained from my usual covering of pressed powder to see how matte they were and how long they lasted! I then took a photo at lunchtime and another when I got home. I tried to do this in the same location at roughly the same time to compare.

First thing in the am....
As you can see the shades are completely different! I was starting out with one that was too light (Spin the Bottle in the Playsticks) and made my olive arms look bizarre. My choice in the Colorstay (310 Warm Golden) was probably a bit too dark but will match perfectly if I catch the sun! It's a good start to both, pretty matte with a little shine on the T-Zone but this is a problem area for me anyway.

Lunchtime!
By lunch I was surprised at how well they were both holding up. Considering I normally layer over with powder I was impressed that I had only a little shine by lunch. You can see that my eye make up is starting to slide due to the oily skin and there's a little shine in each.

Hometime!
By the time I got in from work the shine had got me, but definitely more so with the Playsticks. It shows up less in the photo but I had a very slippery forehead and nose! I think it's also obvious from my expressions which one I preferred! The Colorstay just gave me less glow and I definitely would have reached to top up or powder over way earlier in the day with the Playsticks. With a layer of pressed powder over it the Colorstay gives a perfectly pin-up matte finish that keeps my oily skin under control and provides a good base for my other make up as well as being better for the budget. While the bottle drives me absolutely insane I'll be sticking with this to keep me shine free through summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment